D epartment of Communties and Justice Services engaged Woolacotts as lead consultants involved in addressing over 300 non‐compliant elements addressing Fire, Life and Safety across 20 Courthouses, 5 Correctional Centres and 2 Juvenile Justice Centres in Sydney Metro East and Sydney Metro West.
Works included Protection of external openings, Fire Hydrant, Hose Reels and Fire Extinguishers, Smoke detection and Alarm systems, EWIS or SSISEP Systems, Mechanical Air Handling Systems, Openings for Service Installations, Emergency Lighting, Emergency Exit signage, Fire Stopping to openings, Fire Engineered Solutions, Stairs / ramps / landings and thresholds including handrails non-conformances, Doors and door hardware, Access ladders, Access Performance Solutions and where an engineering or architectural solution or cannot be achieved for the scope performance solution where possible.
Above: Downing Centre Courthouse
As lead consultant Woolacotts were responsible for;
- Engagement and management of the nominated BCA/Certifier and provide BCA compliance statements
- Engage and manage Alternative/Performance Solution consultants and provide Performance Solution reports;
- Engage and manage all other required sub‐consultants including Heritage Architect, Architect, Structural Engineer and all required Engineering Services disciplines;
- Provision of design and documentation for tender and construction for all identified action items including but not limited to:
- Electrical (including power, lighting comms and security);
- Fire and Hydraulic.
- Provide Consultant Services during Tender – includes addressing RFI’s and review offers.
- Provide Consultant Services during Construction – includes addressing RFI’s and provide assistance and guidance to Contractors.
- Provide Consultant Services during Handover – includes defect identification, review/approve As built’s and sign‐off on defects rectification.
All premises were to remain fully operational at all times. With works to be completed in stages during and outside operational hours and on weekends.
Throughout the delivery of this project, the Woolacotts team maintained weekly project updates with DCJ and Intrec to monitor and maintain all project scope deliverables.
To learn more about our Justice and Emergency projects, visit our projects page here.